View Single Post
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Marty,

I want you to think of this in a different light . . .

Let's assume for a short second that the "umpire" was just an average, everman sort of guy. Let's also assume for this portion of the discussion that he was doing a good job all day long.

Now, we have an issue that a batter is not in the box and you as BU, for this discussion only, have no idea WHAT the conversation is about between hitter and umpire.

Now the PU "directs" the pitcher to throw.

What right do you have as a BU to stop this.

Now please understand . . . I am NOT trying to involve personalities I am asking you as a BU if it is ANY of your business as to why the PU directed the pitcher to pitch.

There have been times during my extensive career that I have either directed a pitch or seen my partner direct a pitcher to pitch and I would NEVER have interceded in that direction. EVEN IF HE WAS DOING SOMETHING I DIDN'T AGREE WITH.

A bunch of people jumped to your defense and said the "guy should be reported" . . . why? because he told a player (or two or twelve)to not only look like a ball player and tuck in the shirt but ALSO to protect the game from a potential argument about a pitch hitting the untucked shirt.

Marty, I am not trying to defend a guy that may have been overly officious or an a$$ . . . I am just trying to say that it is sometimes best to allow your partner to settle his own issues and THEN decide what to do about it.

As UIC I have sent partners packing . . . I have called assignors and told them of troubles . . . but I don't remember imposing myself into their personal battles on the field.