Thread: Time out / LBR
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 30, 2007, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref
I saw this at a 14U championship game Sunday......Runner steals 2B. She's safe, after the dust clears PU asks for help on a check swing on that pitch. BU comes up with the hammer and a loud "swing". Runner on 2B then starts heading for the dugout. I think she thought she was now called out. BU tells her to get back on the base. Defensive team wants an out for circle violation. PU then tells Defensive coach that time was out during the asking for help. Defensive coach is okay with that.

So my question is, is time automatically out when there is an appeal on a swing or is the ball still live ?
No, it's not automaticaly an Time Out on a check swing. A check swing isn't even an appeal; it's asking for help. Which CAN be done on a time out and while play is still alive. Rereading my comment: I think it's propper mechanics for PU to call the time, take off the mask and take a view steps towards BU and than point at him and ask him:"(Do you have a) Swing?"
So then you'll have you're time... I can imagine that the propper mechanics will not be showed always...

For the play you saw I have the following feelings:
I'm glad that BU has the common sense to let R2 on 2B, ignoring the fact she left her base. I can see that she was misled by the cry for help by the PU and BU's call for a strike.
I.m.h.o. it's PU's mistake that R2 is mislead!
A PU should never have to ask a check swing at BU, when he's already making a call on 2B. The BU has to focus on his call at 2B, therefore IF he also can see the swing made by B there're 2 sit.'s possible: A) a clear full swing that PU never should have missed or B) BU wasn't looking at his play at 2B, but he was infact watching homeplate and could see the swing...
In both cases a mistake...
Now the PU has to have the knowledge that if he's asking his partner for, he's also bringing him (or himself) in discredit. Don't ask your partner in that case. Here in Europe a check swing mostly isn't even asked when BU is NOT behind 1B (or 3B in a 3-man crew on a lefty)...

If I was the BU in this case the only way to save both my bottom and my partners is not calling a swing. Any def.coach who come's to ask me why I wouldn't give the swing I can tell that I was watching 2B (I had a call there, you know...). And that answer will let my partner look silly, 'cause he asked my help. But only the def.coach will hear my reply to him, so nobody else hear's me saying that PU blew his call...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?