View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 27, 2007, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

I was at the game---North Dakota State University at Minnesota. Minnesota kick-off went into the endzone. NDSU receiver caught and just stood there and made no effort to leave the endzone. He then casually approached the nearest official on the sideline closest to him (not the referee) and tossed the ball to him. This official (who is not responsible for the endzone) dropped his flag for the potential illegal forward pass and blew the play dead. The referee (who is responsible for the endzone) huddled the officials together and decided to call a touchback. The explanation that was given was that the receiver had "given himself up" and had no intention of returning the kick, however, he did not kneel at any time. Apparently (help us out here TXMike or other NCAA rule guys) the NCAA rule does not require the kneel down, but can and will award a touchback if the player has basically given up and it is evident that the player does not intend to come out of the endzone---referee covering the play was just "patient".

This was the explanation given to both coaches and the Minnesota coach had no issues with it.

On a side note--NDSU won the game 27-21 and half of the 60,000 people in the Metrodome were NDSU fans--it was awesome to be a part of. Div 1-AA transitional (not eligible for playoffs, but ranked #1) school beats one of the big boys (not so big this year, but we'll take it)--by the way, the Bison also beat D-1A Central Michigan as well.

Bisonlj--you should have been there, as you can tell by my screen name (and I can tell by yours) it was a very proud day to be from North Dakota. We both know who phansen is and he was pretty proud of his alma mater as well (understatement).