Thread: Double Foul???
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty sure this is a double foul since both A and B committed live ball fouls after the change of posession. I'm just not sure if the ball stays with B at the point of the COP or the entire down is replayed and A has the ball. Neither one sounds right so I'm going to check the books. You definitely wouldn't apply both after the COP.

The other possibility is B declines A's first penalty and then declines the facemask as well in order to keep the ball. The block in the back is then enforced. I wish I had my books with me so I could verify if a team has a choice to decline a penalty on a double foul.

That reminds me of a situation we had earlier this year. Team A has a 70 yard run to the B 3 yard line. At about the B 5 yard line, there is a block in the back by A. As the runner is being tackled, there is a face mask penalty by B. The penalties were offset and the down replayed back at the A 27 yard line. Could A have declined the face mask so they could take the ball first and 10 at the B 13 yard line? At the time I thought it was unfair that B gained an advantage BECAUSE of the foul.