Thread: Website
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What do you mean by this? Can you give an example?
I live in a suburb of Chicago that is mostly white. I also did not grow up near Chicago or any suburb and I have had people assume I have a certain background that I do not have or work games in places I have never worked. There is an association in this area that is almost entirely Black that is located inside the city of Chicago. Most of the membership of that particular association works the Chicago Public League. Many CPS schools are poorer and do not have extensive resources in sports like baseball and football. I have had people assume by my color alone that I belong to this organization which I currently do not. I have had people assume I know people that I did not know. I have been assigned games in conferences only to the one or two Black schools and not assigned to schools that are closer to where I live or to schools. There are even some suburban conferences that might have a school or two that is all-Black and in a couple of cases I see the one or two Black schools multiple times and never see the majority of the schools that do not look like me. Now that is not entirely a problem, but why am I assigned to schools that are right in my back yard some of the time? That is frustrating when you just want to be treated the same as everyone else, but people draw conclusions about you that do not fit your experience and you have to prove things that others do not have to. For the record, I am not talking about baseball assigning which is treated very different than other sports I work. And I do not believe for a second that most of these things situations were done intentionally, but I have been put in situations that inconvenience me because of what they might have assumed.

I am not going to assume that answers your question, but that is the best I can do without getting too controversial.

Peace