Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking of CB Bucknor. Did not realize he is Jamacian
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Yes, I stand corrected.

That figure comes from the 2000 census- now nearly a decade out of date. The most recent figures I could find show the total "non-white" population, not the black population alone, trending upward near 40% and that may be what I was thinking of.

I guess I'd better start researching my posts like I'm writing a college thesis!

That figure aside, I still see relatively few African-American baseball officials in my area, far fewer than than are represented in the population as a whole.

What I have not seen is any evidence of a race-based agenda to dissuade minority candidates from becoming umpires. To the contrary, there have been recent recruiting efforts to add minority umpires to the ranks.

Unfortunately, that effort has involved lowering the standards of training and certification requirements. While this effort may indeed increase the number of minority umpires, I can't see it increasing the number of competent umpires, regardless of race or gender.

(P.S. to msavakinas: I am also in the COBUA and that is the association to which I am refering.)

I don't see any fewer black umpires than black baseball and softball players. The game simply does not appear to appeal to blacks as much as others. Take a look at the crowd the next time you go to a professional game.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
You do not have to be a racist to practice stereotypes that can affect opportunity.

What do you mean by this? Can you give an example?
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72
What do you mean by this? Can you give an example?
I live in a suburb of Chicago that is mostly white. I also did not grow up near Chicago or any suburb and I have had people assume I have a certain background that I do not have or work games in places I have never worked. There is an association in this area that is almost entirely Black that is located inside the city of Chicago. Most of the membership of that particular association works the Chicago Public League. Many CPS schools are poorer and do not have extensive resources in sports like baseball and football. I have had people assume by my color alone that I belong to this organization which I currently do not. I have had people assume I know people that I did not know. I have been assigned games in conferences only to the one or two Black schools and not assigned to schools that are closer to where I live or to schools. There are even some suburban conferences that might have a school or two that is all-Black and in a couple of cases I see the one or two Black schools multiple times and never see the majority of the schools that do not look like me. Now that is not entirely a problem, but why am I assigned to schools that are right in my back yard some of the time? That is frustrating when you just want to be treated the same as everyone else, but people draw conclusions about you that do not fit your experience and you have to prove things that others do not have to. For the record, I am not talking about baseball assigning which is treated very different than other sports I work. And I do not believe for a second that most of these things situations were done intentionally, but I have been put in situations that inconvenience me because of what they might have assumed.

I am not going to assume that answers your question, but that is the best I can do without getting too controversial.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:40pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
There could be a lot of possibilities. It could be there are not very many Black umpires in general. I do not see a lot of Black people participating in baseball for many reasons. I know in my local areas there are very few Blacks that even want to umpire at the HS level. That does not mean there is not discrimination that is very active. I have no idea, I personally do not know of any personal situations where discrimination has taken place, but I do live in America and if things have not changed in other aspects of society, why would I expect it to be so drastically different here.

Peace
Blacks don't participate in baseball for several, valid reasons. One, it does not suit their higher quick-reponse skill sets. Two, it interferes with basketball/football. Three, there is less social influence and fewer scholarships for blacks collegiaelty. Add ten or 15 more actual reasons, vila, blacks aren't in a baseball mentality.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:44pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
J-Rut,

You are making my point for me. I hope you understand my thinking. I just dont like the website that was listed earlier because it makes it look like the white man in the hierarchy of baseball doesn't want african americans in baseball umpiring. That is simply not true. They blamed it all on the racism, while I blame it on the fact that not many African Americans strive to become Major League Baseball Umpires or even collegiate umpires.
If you think there is no racism in MLB, then you have to also think there is no racism inwhite society. Whites can't get along with whites; other-colored skins fall below that level of social disruption.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 11:46pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Let me let you in on a little secret. Most umpires working during the summer are in it for the money!!!!
Peace
And the rest of the time, its for the social good.

ever.
Old Fri Oct 26, 2007, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
laz diaz is hispanic, and cb bucknor is jamaican so I dont think that either one of them qualify as african american but I could be wrong there . Other than that though the only two I can think of is kerwin danley and chuck meriwhether.
Laz Diaz, I believe, is Cuban. CB Bucknor is from Jamaica.

30% of Cubans identify themselves as completely or partially of African descent. 96% of Jamaicans identify themselves as completely or partially of African descent.

These gentlemen may not properly identify with African-Americans, but may identify with Afro-Cubans and Jamaicans of African descent.

The populations of most of the Caribbean "Hispanic" countries evolved from African slaves as much as from the Eurpoean settlers. Inter-race marriage was accepted far earlier in these countries than in North America and, partially as a result, they have experienced fewer tensions between the African descendants and the Eurpoean descendants. In many cases, in most countries, they are one and the same.

Last edited by GarthB; Fri Oct 26, 2007 at 01:12am.