View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 11:08am
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach
Here's the sitch...

HS Varsity game. Fed rules in effect.

OOB throw-in at division line. Thrower retreats straight backwards into open floor space to gain passing angle and avoid defensive pressure. Administering official hits whistle and signals with Travel mechanic.

What recourse does the head coach have to avoid an unwarranted loss of possession?

My first inclination is to request a time out and ask to confer with the officiating team.

What would you folks suggest as the proper protocol to follow?

What are the chances of getting a rectification?

TIA for all relevant replies, rules citations not needed, just looking for advice as to if or how to proceed.
I find it amazing a varsity level official did this. At the first timeout I would politely ask all three of them to come over and ASK them why it was called. Don't TELL them they were wrong. If he says, "He stepped outside the 3-foot area with both feet" then you have no issue, but you might want to remind them there is no traveling on an inbounds. If he says he moved backwards, then ask his partners if they agree. In the unlikely event they ALL think it's a violation, I would explain that it's not. Then thank them.