View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 17, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

IRISHMAFIA:

Q: Then what is the status of Player #8 who batted after Sub1?

A: I would treat Player #8 as BOO. I guess OC didn't tell her that she was not batting this inning.

gun308:

Q. … wouldn't Sub 1 become an illegal player as soon as she batted since she should not be in the line up to start with?

A: In pregame, coach gives me a lineup card with 9 starters and 1 sub. This is pretty typical of U trip, since they want to keep the sub for a courtesy runner. In this situation, I would say, “Okay coach, you have 9 starters and one sub, right?” I always wait for a reply, just in case they have given me the wrong lineup, or to just jog their memory that they have no AP or a DP/DH. Sub1 is not an illegal player, since the lineup card did not have an AP, only 9 starters. If Sub1 bats, she is a substitution, and in this instance an unreported substitution.

gun308:

Q. An illegal player is defined as an original player or their substitute batting in an improper batting slot.
Doesn't this rule make original batter #8 becoming an illegal player?

A: I would treat Sub1 as an unreported sub and Player #8 would be a starter, now on the bench, with a re-entry remaining.

WestMichBlue:

I like your take on the situation. 4 outs, only 6 players left, forfeit, ball game!!!

I don’t think I can use “Illegal Player” on this situation, since the lineup card only had 9 starters.

You should see the lineup cards we get at pregame. They look like NFHS or ASA lineups and U trip has rules that the DP/DH be on the same line on the lineup card. I have never seen anyone give me a lineup card with AP; coaches use EP. And I have never seen a U tip lineup card with the DH and DP on the same line; the “flex” (wrong term in U trip) is on the last line of the lineup card.

And this is why I have troubles with NFHS flex rules.

NFHS
USSSA