View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 15, 2007, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSRef07
I have been reading the rules under section 4.44 and have a question. If player A1 dribble drives to the basket, jump stops holding the ball (lands on both feet simultaneously while holding the ball), can she then pivot?

In a game yesterday a girl did this (I was in the stands) and after her jump stop, she either pivoted and kicked the ball out to the wing or took and extra wide step around B5 with her left foot still planted and made a shot. Both times the ref called travaling. The coach went nuts. Looked like traveling to me.

Rule 4.44.2.a3 seems to indicate that the call was correct.

The main article 4.44.2 reads "A player who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows:" (How can a player catch the ball while dribbling?)

4.44.2.a3: "On one foot (I assume she would be on one foot as she started her jump stop), the player may jump off that foot and land simultaneously land on both. Neither foot can be a pivot in this case."

Your thoughts are appreciated.
If you consider the ball to becoming up to her hands on the first step, at which point she grasps the ball with both hands and makes the two foot landing jump stop, then she is able to pivot or step to make a try for goal.

If she had already secured the ball on the first step, then the double foot jump stop would be her final step: no pivot allowed, but she can make a try for goal or pass, as long as the ball is released before the foot comes back down.