Old Fri Sep 01, 2000, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Carl Childress:
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Porter:
Uh-oh, Warren. I disagree with something you said.

(2)If the runner attempts to return within a reasonable time, even after entering the dugout, he must be tagged for the "Out!" [Unrelaxed action]

Whether or not the runner must be tagged when returning, or whether the plate can be tagged, has nothing to do with a, "reasonable time." The question only comes down to whether the runner immediately returned to the plate or not.

+++++++++

Jim:

Your piece is great, and it reflects correctly the authoritative opinion of the J/R and the JEA. In this instance authoritative opinion has been superseded.

As you may have forgotten, there is now an official ruling in that area from the PBUC, which says exactly what Warren wrote: The umpire is to judge how long the runner may tarry away from the plate before returning. It is entirely umpire discretion. (Cris Jones for the PBUC, eteamz, 5/2/00)

Boy, I didn't read anything about tag of runner versus tag of plate in that official ruling. As I recall, the ruling dealt specifically with the question of a runner returning from the dugout.

Do you have it on file so that I may read it again?

Sincerely,
Jim Porter
++++++++++

Jim:

That is the issue. The runner can return from the dugout. If he returns, he must be tagged. Even Warren agrees to that. If you'll check my original post on this thread, that's what I said: Simply throwing the ball to the base in advance of the returning runner won't get an out.

If Warren didn't make that point, I apologize.

As I read the discussion, you were focusing on "immediately return," whereas Warren focused on "umpire discretion."

It may be we're all in agreement after all.

------------------
Papa C
Editor, eUmpire