View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioref
let me get this right. you officials who oppose getting out rule book, would rather be wrong , instead of making the right call!!!
When you KNOW that you're right and the HC questions you, do you pull out the rule book to prove it?

I expect the answer to be no

Do you think it's possible to be confident in a rules app and yet be wrong?

How about when you think you KNOW but in reality you're wrong? It's the same as above you don't pull out the book because you have no doubt you're right, but sadly you're wrong. How does this sitch get resolved?
The only way to resolve this is too pull the book every time the HC disagrees just to make sure.
Since getting the call right seems to be your first and only priority, it seems that checking the book each time the HC questions you would be the prudent thing to do.

Is that your MO or is your threshold dependant upon how loud the HC yells?

If you have a slight mis giving about a rule or app but neither bench complains do you go to the book anyway? Or is it OK to mis apply a rule as long as no one knows?

Once you open the book on the field you're on the slope and it gets quite slippery very quickly.
To be frank, I don't know how you can justify not going to the book for every rule and app.