View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 01, 2000, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
quote:
Originally posted by Bob:
So please clarify, if you would:

If the runner has tarried too long away from the plate but is now hustling cheek to get back, can an appeal be met by merely touching the plate, or must the runner be tagged?

I can think of several different answers(yes, no, maybe, and depends(for old guys)). But if I wanted my answer I wouldn't ask you........

Bob

+++++++++++

Bob:

The play probably happened once or twice in the history of baseball, so there are not a lot of data available.

What would I do, armed with all I know about the play? Is punt an option?

After the player entered the dugout, when he showed no intention of "immediately" returning, I would declare him out if appealed. That's the point of the rule that says the catcher doesn't have to chase him.

When the catcher showed no intention of appealing, I would say to myself: "Well, that runner has been in the dugout long enough." If he tries to come back out, I won't permit it.

How long is that? That's up to the catcher and any other plays he may be making. After continuing action stops, someone generally calls time. Again, I wouldn't let the runner return after time was out.

Remember, though, I'm not going to call him out. I'm just not permitting him to retouch the base. If he should touch it anyway, I wouldn't recognize should the defense appeal.

I'm taking issue only with one thing Jim said: "Immediately has everything to do with it." That's wrong, according to Cris Jones, who ruled officially that it was umpire discretion when to permit the runner to return from the dugout.

It's a tiny little point about what is, essentially, merely a "talking" rule. Pete Booth said most umpires wouldn't permit a runner to return after he entered the dugout.

I believe that once he's in the dugout, no runner would try to return.

Still, these are fun to talk about since we realize the chances one will ever happen are slimer than a politician will stop talking during a campaign.

------------------
Papa C
Editor, eUmpire