View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 02:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog5142
1) However, I had been allowing like 5-7 seconds for throw-ins...finally, after a girl had the ball in her possession (midway through 2nd quarter), it literally took 7 seconds just for a girl to get to the ball (they walked to get the ball, etc.)...I counted to 10 and called a 5 second call. The coach went ballistic about the call...how it was ridiculous. He had walked to the baseline in order to tell me this. I told the coach that we ref the rules, not the score and to promptly get back into the coaching box. That was the last I heard from him and I remained lenient the rest of the game. Good call or not?

2) I approached the coach after the game to tell him why I made the call...that I was trying to help him out as a coach so that he could teach his girls the rule and have something to reference.
1) Unless they were gaining some kind of advantage out of it, I wouldn't worry too much about their lack of hustle on throw-ins. And if they're down by 20 that quick, they aren't gaining any advantage by delaying anything. That's especially true for crappy MS girls teams. I'd either ignore it, or maybe quickly mention to the coach if I got a chance that his kids are a l'il slow on throw-ins. I thought that the way that you did handle the coach arguing was fine though.

2) Unless you are asked, there's no real need for an explanation at the end of a game unless the coach asked you for one. Approaching coaches after a game to discuss rules isn't a good idea if you're initiating the discussion. They've got their own post-game thing to do, and they don't need you in their grille pontificating. Don't worry about the coach doing their job. Leave the coaching to them and just worry about the officiating end of it.

As always, jmo.