View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: If knowing that I can make a ruling on the field with 99.9% confidence that I have it right is ego, then I'm guilty. The problem with having a rule book on my hip is two-fold: (1) As soon as I open it, every situation from that point forward has the potential for being met with a "Look it up, Blue" or "You're gonna have to show that to me, Ref." Anyone ever heard of Pandora's Box?? and (2) As soon as you open the book on the field, your credibility for being able to properly control and administer the game goes right down the toilet.

If that's what Ohio says you should do, by all means do it. But I'd rather rely on committing the rules to memory. Not to be able to recite Rule-Section-Article out on the field, but being able to tell the coach that you're sure of your ruling with the promise to show it to him in the book after the game.
1. As I said, we are required to have it on the field and miraculously we don't have either of the problems that you describe.

2. Having an independant understanding of the rules and having the rule books on the field are not mutually exclusive. You can have both.

3. Assuming there is a rule that you don't know for sure (if you can imagine that) having the self confidence to go to the book ensures the correct call.

4. I liken it to carrying a condom...Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

5. It is not about US. Get the call right.