View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So to add to this question, what happens when the HL and the LJ consistently disagree about the spot? And not by a few inches, but by a yard-and-a-half to two yards at some points? Who should the R go with on this one? We had this situation in a game last Friday, and the R went with the shorter spot every time - his explanation was that the other two were not going to agree, so they would go with the shorter spot every time for both teams...it was weird how far off they were at times. According to the R they "discussed" it at half-time and couldn't reach a consensus...(oh, this was a 4-man crew)
First of all, it's the umpire that normally spots the ball - not the R. If I'm working as an U, I will look towards the closer wing. If the run is to the HL side, I'll go with his spot and vice versa. I wouldn't normally be aware that they had different spots.

If I thought one guy's spots weren't very good, I'd tend to favor the other wing's placement, but whichever one I take, I'd never look back to see where the other one is.