View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
I've got the plate and need some help on this one! I told my partner during pregame I would take the second play in the infield at 3B.

R1 @ 2B, w/ 1 out. Batter hits a ground ball to F6, who looks R1 back to 2B. R1 breaks to third on the throw to F3. F3 catches the wide throw and attempts to make a sweep tag and misses. BU calls the R2 safe. F3 throws to F5, a very close tag out on R1(I made the call). Defensive manager asks BU to ask for help on the tag @1B. BU asks for help and I have the batter safe as well.

My question (after this long winded scenario) is where is the proper position for the plate umpire, when the ball is hit? I came out to the top of the circle to watch for a tag and pivoted toward 3B on the throw.
After the ball is hit I (PU) would move up the 3B line about 10 feet. I can still help on a swipe at 1B, or a foot off the bag, if needed, and be in a good postion to rule on an overthrow out of bounds at 3B. BU has the batter and the runner from 2b, whatever their numbers.