Thread: Kids Ref Jersey
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Coach Is With My Wife

Early in my officiating career, as a junior varsity official, before we had children, my wife would often go to Saturday night games with me, and we would go out to dinner after the game.

In one instance, a few weeks before, I had officiated a junior varsity game in which the varsity coach coached my game because his assistant was ill. He was, and still is, a real "old school" coach, who believed in "working the officials", as a very successful basketball, baseball, and soccer coach. I had to remind him several times in the junior varsity game to act in a sportmanlike manner. There were no technical fouls called, but I spent a lot of effort on maintaining proper bench decorum.

A few weeks later, I had the same school's junior varsity game on a Saturday night. This time the assistant coach coached my junior varsity game. During the game, I look into the stands to see the varsity coach talking to my wife, who is pointing to me. I couldn't imagine what he was saying about me to my wife, he always had an "anti-official" reputation. After my game, I spoke to my wife and she told me that he was very complimentary of my officiating and he wished that more junior varsity officials would "take care of business" in terms of bench decdorum.

Go figure.