Thread: BALK???
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 29, 2002, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

This is my understanding of the 3-1 move, Chris.

In all codes, if the move is made from the rubber, there must first be a legal step to 3B. No arm motion is required by any code in the feint to 3B. The legal step with the nonpivot foot is the tipoff that a pitch is not occurring.

In Fed, after the legal step, the pitcher may remain engaged with his pivot foot to the rubber, but if he then resteps toward 1B with his nonpivot foot he MUST throw to 1B because the move is still considered "from the rubber."

In OBR and NCAA, I believe he is required to have removed his pivot foot from the rubber after his step to 3B. If he remained in touch with the rubber and made a following move to 1B it would be a balk.

In all codes, once he legally steps toward 3B, his pivot foot may then disengage forward from rubber. Once disengaged, any additional movement toward 1B would not require him to throw there because he is now legally off the rubber and no longer considered a pitcher.

Finally, in all codes, if in his first legal step to 3B he were to merely turn (twist) on his nonpivot foot after it landed and throw or feint to 1B in a continuous motion (without another movement of his nonpivot foot) it would be considered a balk for throwing or feinting to a base that he did not first legally step to.

That is my understanding.........

Freix