View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevil19
1. Isn't "confronting Bradley" wrong in and of itself?

2. Knowing the penalties for criticizing umpires, and imagining the penalties for making THAT kind of an allegation and not being able to back it up, why exactly would anyone make that up? (And please spare me your "he's a rat" garbage)

3. There has to be a better way to "stick up for his fellow umpire."

4. What "show" is "Bradley running?"
1. Certainly not. However, the rules as to how that is done have changed.

As recently as the 70's and 80's umpires it was acceptable for umpires to use the same language as the Rats during heated confrontations. An F-you from the Rat was met with an F-you, too from the umpire. "Piece of ****" was and is a common reference of and by both rats and umpires.

Sometime in the last 20 years, for whatever reason, umpires have had their leash yanked when it comes to language on the field. I don't if today's player get his feelings hurt easier or what, but umpires are now taught to avoid using Rat language when arguing with Rats. Winters apparently lost his cool and slipped to the old ways.

2. Who knows why the first base coach lied. He lied twice. First he told the media that Winters made a "racial comment." Then he said it was a comment that "could be taken racially." With that, he threw Winters under the bus.

The result of F1's testimony and other (lip reading?) experts called upon by MLB indicate that Winters called the POS rat a "F@#&ing piece of sh!t."

The MLB investigation, according to some inside, also indicates that Winters reported exactly what he said to his crew chief. So when the first base coach also told the media that Winters lied to his crew chief, he was lying again.

3. Better language, perhaps.

4. None that I care to see.

So, while the original allegations against Winters have been proven false, he was found guilty of using inappropriate language, which he admitted, and has been suspended. Despite SDS claims, I have no problem admitting Winters' error now that the facts are known, and I believe his punishment is appropriate.

Now, I can wait just as patiently for the other shoe to fall. What penalty will be appropriate for Bradley?