View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 26, 2007, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I don't share the knee-jerk defense of the umpire. The suspension seems to be more than justified.

Meacham (the first base coach) has not backed off anything. This is what he told MLB, according to the San Diego Union Tribune:

Winters instigated the incident by calling Bradley a “bleeping piece of (expletive).” It was Meacham who responded first, walking up to Winters.

“I'd never heard something like that on a baseball field,” Meacham said. “I was like, whoa, you can't say that. There was a reason why I walked on the field.”

“Winters should apologize to Milton,” Meacham said. “I know what I heard. Milton was wronged. His future is at stake here. I'm not in anybody's corner. I just want the truth to come out. Winters made a mistake. He lost his cool. He snapped. All of us make a mistake. It was stuff that just shouldn't be said. Milton did what anybody in baseball would have done.”

As for the "neutral witness," the Rockies first baseman: When asked Sunday about the incident, Helton chose his words carefully, saying it was "interesting and crazy."