View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 19, 2007, 01:59am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocks99
I manage a fall team (mostly 15/16) playing under High School rules. Last evening we had this scenario.
My starting pitcher had gone 3 innings and was going out to start the 4th inning. My 1B was trotting across the field going to his position to begin warming up the infield. On the way he decided to throw a pitch to our catcher. He used the infield ball, not the game ball that was laying on the mound. The umpire immed. called me out and indicated that my 1B had to face at least one batter since he threw a warmup pitch.

Is there any rule to back up his ruling ? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome Rocks99

Yes, by OBR (Officials Rules Of Baseball) which the pros use, technically, he "warmed up"; high school, nope.

Fall ball sometimes can be more "entertaining" for umpires as many coaches get their chance in Fall, it becomes important o them and to many players who are trying to make th HS team thru Fall participation. A lot of those players are on the fringe of being cut/selected.

Umpires often fall into the same category, perhaps a bit over authoratative for the season.