View Single Post
Old Tue May 09, 2000, 12:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by jackgil:
Mark -

If he had said "Please watch the fouls. Call it both ways Jeff" he probably would have been spared the T.
Jack

I understand what you are saying but I must admit that the one comment I hate to hear above almost all others is "call it both ways". Taken literally (and yes - I know most coaches don't mean it in the literal sense) it implies that you are cheating. It says you are favoring one team over the other.

If a coach just "says it" within the context of how most coaches "say it" (not implying we're cheating, but feeling that their team isn't getting "their share" of the calls - whatever that means), I usually let it go. But if a coach says it over and over during a game, I will ask him to point out specific plays in which he saw identical situations and identical contact and identical advantage/disadvantage against each team where a foul was called against his team but not the other. Usually, they respond by telling you they can't cite specific plays to which I reply that I can't respond to their comment, and when they have a specific example, I'll be glad to listen, but that I can't really respond to broad generalities.

Of course, this usually confuses them beyond their normal state of confusion, which is my objective. because it usually results in peace and quiet.

[This message has been edited by Mark Padgett (edited May 09, 2000).]