View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 14, 2007, 03:41pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Haven't heard that rumor, yet. Hopefully it is just that - a rumor! Why would you want to add more judgment to our already hectic job? Because that is what eliminating the center line violation would do. Right now, NCAA is the only rules set that allows encroachment under the net as long as there is no safety issue (which is another judgment call that we, as officials, have to make). My theory is that until FIVB allows it as legal, keep it out of the high school game.

Personally, I would rather see the insignificant net not involved in playing the ball eliminated as a call that has to be made under NFHS rules. That way, all three rules sets would be in agreement about what constitutes a net violation.

Likewise, I would like to see NFHS get rid of the illegal contact below the waist. Both FIVB/USAV and NCAA allow legal contact to be made with any body part. Sometimes that creates a great play when the only thing that a player can do is get a foot under the ball to pop it up. Under NFHS rules, I have to call that an illegal contact and I think it takes away a great play that was made.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)