View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2007, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Going back to 2B, the runner can simply state that he knew he missed the base and that is why he is on 2B. Problem is, being on 2B at this point means he hasn't yet returned to 1B on the caught fly ball.

The runner would be out on that appeal, not for missing 2B.

So if the defense appeals, the umpire can't make a call until he knows why the runner went to 2B. If the appeal is for the missed base, he asks the runner, "Why did you go to 2B?" If the runner says, "Because I missed 2B," then the call is safe. If he says, "Because the ball got away," then the call is out. On the other hand, if the appeal is for leaving 1B too soon, and the runner answers, "I went to 2B because I had a chance to advance," then the call is safe. If he says, "Because I missed 2B," then the call is out. Does the runner have Miranda rights?

This interesting interpretation is new to me. If, with Abel back on 1B, the throw entered DBT, Abel could take his award (3B if he was between 2B and 1B when the throw was made, home if between 3B and 2B), but he would first have to run to touch 2B to correct one mistake, then return to 1B to correct the other. No wonder another code came up with "last time by."

The answer I got from ASA in March 2006 was simply, "The runner must touch in reverse order. Out on appeal," which I took to mean for missing 2B, not for leaving 1B too soon after having "negated" his return by advancing to touch a missed base. I assume that ASA would have mentioned leaving 1B too soon if that factor entered into the mix.