View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 06, 2007, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I thought I posted this yesterday, but now I can't find it. I asked our local commissioner, who is also our state rules interpreter, who was at one time on the NFHS rules committee, about this debate, and here's his reply.

A1 completes her dribble - drops the ball but does not touch it - legal - You could also rule that it was a bounce pass to a teammate or you could also rule a fumble.

That seems pretty clear to me. It's not a dribble, unless she touches it again, after the bounce.
I'm sure that he's a nice guy, but I've never understood this hero worship of Howard Mayo. FWIW my state rules interpreter is a current member of the NFHS rules committee. That doesn't mean that he knows the answer to every rules question or that anyone has to agree with what he says.

BTW what Howard wrote above about calling this a fumble is incorrect. The player in question did not lose control of the ball accidently. Therefore this doesn't meet the definition of a fumble. In this case the player purposely dropped the ball. As I stated in an earlier post the ruling for case play 4.44.3 Situation A part (d) tells us that this is, in fact, the start of a dribble.