Thread: Newbie
View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 05, 2007, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to phatneff Send a message via Yahoo to phatneff
I always wear sunglasses on bright sunny days. I do primarily center assignments and I tell my AR's that I will wear the sunglasses. If they would like to wear sunglasses, too, I allow them to. For me, anything that can help to better officiate a game, I'm all for it. Some, if not most, people believe that sunglasses should NEVER be worn. However, i totally disagree. I also sometimes officiate with a black towel hanging out of the back of my shorts. That allows me to get the sweat off of my hands, arms, head, and face on the hot days. Again, most people would not allow that to happen, but my contention is whateve will help me throughout the game, I will use.

As an official, the focus should never be on you. The focus should be on the game itself. If someone is worried about what you're wearing, then THEY are focusing on the wrong thing. If anyone has an issue with me wearing sunglasses and/or a towel, I suggest to them that they call the assigner and/or state. In my 10+ years of officiating, I have never been told not to do as such.