View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

The hardest part about the left hander is the judgement of gaining distance toward first base on that type of move. In two man system the BU is almost always stuck with the inability of not being able to watch the complete step and still follow the ball to the bag for a possible tag. This is where the PU also has to be on his toes and looking for the step towards the bag.

With a BU behind First, at least he can tell if the leg is going more towards home then first however, it is still tough to totally see if the leg is gaining distance. Again the PU or a BU at second can make this call.

There is also the discussion about gaining distance and landing the foot at a place that is greater than a 45 deg. angle from the Pitching plate. Anything past the line is toward first and before the line is toward home plate.

Others feel that any apppreciable distance also satisfies the rules.

I don't know the answer but, one thing for sure, be prepared with a lefty on the mound and a R1, because when you miss it the first time, it will be hard to establish a good precedent from thereon.

To me it is one of the tougher judgement calls we have to make out there.

I am still open to suggestions.