View Single Post
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:39pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
At 185, I'm not overweight, nor do I have a six pack now days. I've seen some of those obiese umps run circles around some of those fit umps. As long as my partner covers his responsibilites, keeps his uniform neat and clean, I don't personally care. I can only worry about my personnal appearance. Hence, I've lost nearly 20 pounds over the past year. However, I've always found it interesting how one can negatively judge another for facial hair, yet being 50 pounds overweight is acceptable. Never judge a book by it's cover, we all would do well to remember that.
Obesity is not a sign of laziness and should not be socially disgraced in any way. It is a condition of choice and many times has its roots in psychological issues (lack of self-esteem, etc). I am constantly surprised, though, to see umpires who empirically are outside the norm for obesity.