Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
And you would be wrong. Let's see, believe you or a cardiologist, many cardiologists? I'll have to think about that one.
Yeah?? Well geneticists would also state otherwise. I'm on the hefty side myself and have done my job quite well, thank you. But you do raise an important point, though. It is important for all of us to maintain a reasonable weight in proportion to height and frame. And I'd have to agree that MLB has gotten its act together.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:39pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue
At 185, I'm not overweight, nor do I have a six pack now days. I've seen some of those obiese umps run circles around some of those fit umps. As long as my partner covers his responsibilites, keeps his uniform neat and clean, I don't personally care. I can only worry about my personnal appearance. Hence, I've lost nearly 20 pounds over the past year. However, I've always found it interesting how one can negatively judge another for facial hair, yet being 50 pounds overweight is acceptable. Never judge a book by it's cover, we all would do well to remember that.
Obesity is not a sign of laziness and should not be socially disgraced in any way. It is a condition of choice and many times has its roots in psychological issues (lack of self-esteem, etc). I am constantly surprised, though, to see umpires who empirically are outside the norm for obesity.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone who does not cover 2B is lazy. Anyone who is obese makes it that much harder, and less likely, that 2B is going to get properly covered.

Yes, they are.

glut·ton·y (glŭt'n-ē)
n., pl. -ies.

Excess in eating or drinking.

Abdominal fat is the worst of the worst of overfat conditions. The number of patients who Dr. Chung has seen whose tummies hang over their belts and are not obese are zero.
NONE of this makes sense - dumbass. Gluttony of the eating persuasion leads to obesity true - your definition doesn't say that obesity = gluttony. It simply says that gluttony is over-indulging (over eating in this case).

Yes, if you are obese your belly will hang over your belt. BUT just because your belly hangs over your belt doesn't make you obese (over weight? Probably - obese? Not necessarily).

And now THIS is the dumest thing I've read.

You are confusing over weight and obese. Obese is EXCESSIVELY over weight.

Diabetes caused by gluttony and obesity? You are out of your f#$%#ing mind. Steve said he's overweight AND CONTROLLING IT. You are blind to the facts, and are not only biased in your opinion, you are showing the stupidity that rides shotgun to prejudice.

I have given you the definition of both obesity and gluttony (from the dictionary) - but you still don't see the difference. Now you've gone from ignorant (uneducated) to stupid (educated but still don't know).

What you are doing is this: I say that everyone that lives in "that" subdivision is Asian. You are taking that information and saying that all Asians live in "that" subdivision. Very wrong conclusion.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:42pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Yeah?? Well geneticists would also state otherwise. I'm on the hefty side myself and have done my job quite well, thank you. But you do raise an important point, though. It is important for all of us to maintain a reasonable weight in proportion to height and frame. And I'd have to agree that MLB has gotten its act together.
No geneticist has or will ever clinically citation obesity as a genetic condition that cannot be controlled by reducing consumption. If you overconsume, you will be overfat and eventually obese.

Again, I support this by:

http://tinyurl.com/3ap4qa

and sci.med.cardiology discussions, not innuendo or mythology.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If you overconsume, you will be overfat and eventually obese.
This is the only statement you've made that is 100% correct.

But I must add that just because you are "overfat" does not mean that you have over consumed.

YES, if you over consume you will be overly fat. I cannot argue that, nor am I trying to. But you have constantly stated that over consumption is the ONLY way one could be obese. THAT is not true.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Bassman
Quote:
No geneticist has or will ever clinically citation obesity as a genetic condition that cannot be controlled by reducing consumption. If you overconsume, you will be overfat and eventually obese.

Again, I support this by:

http://tinyurl.com/3ap4qa

and sci.med.cardiology discussions, not innuendo or mythology.
You still disregard other factors such as:
METABOLISM

GENETICS!! (my maternal grandfather was big and lived to the ripe old age of 86)

etc.
Old Sat Sep 01, 2007, 11:51pm
In Time Out

Complete crap, it's gluttony, overconsumption and nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
This statement is about as stupid as saying that all Mexicans/Blacks/Rednecks look a like. It's a prejudiced remark. BY DEFINITION obesity has nothing to do with gluttony.
Why you drag race into this I have no clue. I have left the medical definition, and the encyclopedic definition of obesity, you are incorrect on both counts.

Quote:
You are defining one as the other. It amazes me on how many subjects you attempt to be an expert.
Correct, obese people are gluttons, the expert is the cardiological field, not me. I would say that you place yourself as an expert as you continue to argue against the medical profession with futility.

Quote:
Ignorance is fine, but don't pretend to know that which you do not. I am not an expert on this subject.

Quote:
However, I have been educated in genetics, physiology, etc - so I'm not completely ignorant and can speak intellegently and without prejudice. Try it, you'll like it.
I have no idea what education you have nor do I care until you can produce more than opinion. I have and I stand with the experts on this, you can stand wherever you want, it won't change the facts.

How overweight are you, btw?

Quote:
You are intitled to your opinion of fat people, black people, foreigners, southerners, northerners...but don't post your opinion as fact.
Why you keep attempting to place me as a racist when no one except you has any discusion of race in this thread. It's really a pathetic and shallow ploy.

Quote:
Keep one thing in mind fitty - it's better to keep your mouth shut and have someone think you're a fool than to open your mouth and prove them correct.
"The best advice is often the one given to others, often best utilized by the advisor."
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Complete crap, it's gluttony, overconsumption and nothing else.

Why you drag race into this I have no clue. I have left the medical definition, and the encyclopedic definition of obesity, you are incorrect on both counts.

Correct, obese people are gluttons, the expert is the cardiological field, not me. I would say that you place yourself as an expert as you continue to argue against the medical profession with futility.

I have no idea what education you have nor do I care until you can produce more than opinion. I have and I stand with the experts on this, you can stand wherever you want, it won't change the facts.

How overweight are you, btw?

Why you keep attempting to place me as a racist when no one except you has any discusion of race in this thread. It's really a pathetic and shallow ploy.

"The best advice is often the one given to others, often best utilized by the advisor."
I made no statement to imply that you are a racists - I was using race as an example while talking about prejudice (as race is the most commonly known form).

For the record - I am 6 feet, 180 pounds - not over weight AT ALL. My adamant stance has nothing to do with my weight nor the weight of anyone in my family (or friends).

"obese people are gluttons" - this comment is where I have the biggest problem with your comments. Not all obese people are gluttons. Are all gluttons obese? Yes, if their gluttony involves food. You constantly group all of one type with the other. Gluttony will produce obesity, I cannot argue that. However, obesity is not ONLY caused by gluttony.

You simply don't get it, apparently. You have your opinion that the two are one in the same - and if the cardiologists told me they are one in the same I would simply produce the definition of both and have enough evidence to dispute the claim.

Obesity is a problem. We (Americans) are WAY overweight. Too many are obese. Obesity (excess weight) can lead to health issues (that a cardiologist would treat). I don't dispute these things. The ONLY thing I'm disputing is your constant claim that obesity is gluttony (and nothing else).
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Gentlemen........

How is /ignore going to work when you jeep on quoting?

Besides, teaching a bigot manners is futile. Correcting a moron is likewise an exercise in futility.

What's funny is I eat to gluttony, am 45 years old and have a BMI of 13%.

So much for the opinion of imbeciles.
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And you would be wrong. Let's see, believe you or a cardiologist, many cardiologists? I'll have to think about that one.
Hey all,

fitump56, you know not of which you speak. You are a TROLL and nothing less. Obeseity CAN be caused by over-stuffing the mouth OR genetics can play a part OR BOTH. This comes from someone who has dealt with a real cardiologist, not one I made up in my head, because of health issues that were caused, in part, by weighing as much as 80-100 lbs. more than the "experts" say I should for my 6'4" frame. Genetics are a major contibuting factor to obeseity in the cases of a lot of people.

That in mind, weight does not determine ability to cover responsibilities from home to second/first to third, etc.., hustle and pride in the job you are doing does!

LomUmp
Old Sun Sep 02, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What other ways might genes influence obesity?

It has been argued that the thrifty genotype is just part of a wider spectrum of ways in which genes can favor fat accumulation in a given environment. These ways include the tendency to overeat (poor regulation of appetite and satiety); tendency to be sedentary (physically inactive); diminished ability to use dietary fats as fuel; and enlarged, easily stimulated capacity to store body fat. It is noticeable that not all people living in industrialized countries with abundant food are or will become obese; nor will all obese people suffer the same health consequences. The variation in how people respond to the same environmental conditions suggests that genes also play a role in the development of obesity. This diversity occurs even among groups of the same racial or ethnic background and within families living in the same environment. All of these observations are consistent with the theory that obesity results from the interaction of genetic variation with shifting environmental conditions.

Genomics

Genetics

How do genes affect obesity?

Science shows that genetics plays a role in obesity. Genes can directly cause obesity in disorders such as Bardet-Biedl syndrome and Prader-Willi syndrome.

However genes do not always predict future health. Genes and behavior may both be needed for a person to be overweight. In some cases multiple genes may increase one’s susceptibility for obesity and require outside factors; such as abundant food supply or little physical activity.

For more information on the genetics and obesity visit Obesity and Genetics: A Public Health Perspective.

Contributing Factors

Genetic predisposition may not be health destiny, but studies indicate that inherited genetic variation is an important risk factor for obesity. Evidence from twin, adoption and family studies strongly suggests that biological relatives exhibit similarities in maintenance of body weight. Genetic factors also are beginning to be implicated in the degree of effectiveness of diet and physical activity interventions for weight reduction.

These genetic risk factors tend to be familial, but are not inherited in a simple manner; they may reflect many genetic variations, and each variation may contribute a small amount of risk and may interact with environmental elements to produce the clinical condition of obesity.

Medical Moment

I could go on posting numerous sources that support what Darien's already said. I've yet to find a single one that would agree with Fitty'.

Tim.
Closed Thread