View Single Post
Old Fri Aug 31, 2007, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Some interesting rule interpretations here. I'm just wondering if I've got it straight. Once a receiver makes a "cut" or once it's appears he no longer intends to block, he cannot be touched. And this may even create a delayed flag requirement to see if a pass is actually thrown. So....

1) say a receiver breaks on a quick slant at the snap and the defender contacts him. Does this count as a "cut"?

2) is it reasonable to assume on just about any pass play, no receiver will attempt to block since their job is to get open for the pass and therefore no contact is allowed at all and delayed flags should come raining down from just about everywhere?

3) is "bump & run" coverage illegal if the receiver immediately tries to break away from the defender? After all he's both cutting and not attempting to block. Or does this count as a cut? Are we supposed to try to determine what is a cut and what is just an altered route?

Yes, these are some extreme examples geared towards a certain point, which I'm sure you can all determine where I'm coming from. Perhaps we would be better off with the NFL 5yd bump rule since what it appears some may be trying to apply is much more restrictive.