View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 28, 2007, 05:43pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
A few years ago, a pair of umpires allowed the players to continue playing into the sixth inning just for fun, even though the game should have been a mercy rule after the fifth.
This is where the umpires made their mistake. Never, ever, EVER work a game past its actual completion. When the game is over, drop the balls or give them to somebody and then split!

You are liable for anything that happens if you stay and umpire some more. Tell the teams that they are welcome to keep playing until they have to give up the field, but that you are prohibited from continuing due to liability reasons. I always let them know that it is my association's policy and that stops their whiny protests of "come on, it's for the kids," or "what's your hurry, Blue...got a date?" and crap like that.

Once it's a complete game the teams are welcome to stay and "scrimmage." They just have to umpire their own game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
I think in this case the parents of the kid that got hurt should be sueing themselves for not pulling him off the field. That would make more sense than sueing the umpires. Of course everyone likes to put their blame on the umpires.
Again, this is the umpires' fault for trying to be "nice guys" and doing it "for the kids." The parents were right to sue, as the umpires should not have been there overseeing a game that was already completed.

Same thing goes if you get a forfeit because a team is short of players to start a game. The teams can get together and play, but the umpires have to leave as soon as a forfeit is declared.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25