View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 25, 2007, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
This is PRO ball we are talking about. That rule about having to at least reach the base with your hand is virtually not called in a PRO game. We have seen many examples over the years. Albert Belle comes to mind etc.

That's one of the main reasons for having the FPSR. If memory serves F4 was removed because of an injury. The player went "right at" the fielder" not the base.

If that doesn't meet the criteria "willfully and deliberately with obvious intent" I do not know what does.

In PRO ball for the most part runners have "carte blanche"

Since you are speaking of LL it is amazing that LL does not have any sliding restrictions. They have a joke of a safety rule called 7.08(a)3 however, in order for that to be in effect the fielder MUST have the ball AND be waiting to make a tag which is hardly ever the case.

In the LLWS/Regions we already saw a pop-up slide that effected the play but because LL has no sliding restrictions this is legal.

In a nutshell, I doubt even in the LLWS that the umpire would ring up 2 outs on the play you are talking about in the Phils @ Cubs game.

In HS and NCAA we have 2 outs on this play. In LL it would be questionable. That's why IMO< amateur leagues especailly youth leagues should have a FPSR.

Pete Booth

In 2007, pop-up slides were made legal in NCAA baseball, even if they resulted in contact. What is the fielder doing so close to the base? The fielder shouldn't have carte blanche to make a play. By the end of the season, most DPs had R1 popping up at second. Turned properly, R1 had no effect on the pivot.

The play in LL was LEGAL. Again, why should the fielder have a free pass to make the play right at the base without turning a proper pivot?