View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: This is a question I've had for years and I've never seen it actually answered. Oh yes...many have had opinions, but I've never seen a definitive answer. Assume a legal scrimmage kick formation and consider this line formation (dots used for spacing purposes):

INITIAL FORMATION:
.........80 56 50 67 73 87 89

AFTER SHIFT:
....61 80 56 50 67 73 87

We know that #80 is ineligible since he is covered by #61 at the snap. the BIG question is this: Is #87 eligible?

It's my opinion that he is. The standard numbering rule says that Team A must have five numbered 50-79 on the ljne at the snap. They do. Therefore there is no numbering exception in force on this play. Since there's no numbering exception, you can't place additional eligiblility restrictions on Team A. Thus, #89's shift makes #87 eligible.

The rule quote that Ref in SoCA mentioned ("A player in the game under this exception must assume an initial position on his line of scrimmage between the ends and he remains an ineligible forward-pass receiver during that down unless the pass is touched by B (7-5-6b).") is absolutely true, but only if Team A is operating under the numbering exception (note, it even uses the words "under this exception"). Since A had five numbered 50-79 on the line at the snap there IS no exception so they can't be operating under it.

I'm sure we'll hear others' opinions. I just offered to share mine.