Thread: Racists?
View Single Post
Old Sun Aug 19, 2007, 04:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
So, there are people who use this kind of statement to justify their behavior? What behavior specifically please? I think I understand what you mean. Are you saying that there are people who say that they have a black friend, so they think they can say offensive things to others of that race? I can see that.
This is too broad of a discussion and too inflammitory for most to handle. I am not going to debate every single sitaution that someone might be offended. I can just tell you that because you have a Black (Jewish, Asian, Polish....) friend does not mean that your behavior is any less offensive to someone else that is not your friend. I feel that if you have a "Black" friend that you would realize that someone else might not see the world through just their eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I don't just hava a black friend. I have lots of black friends, party with mostly black people, listen mostly to Crunk, Dirty South, NoCal rap and generic gangsta rap, and I sing along. I don't use the phrase "most of my friends are black" to say anything other than "most of my friends are black." But I also know not to open up my mouth around strangers and act a fool. Therein may lie the difference.
Black people can be as different as anyone. Your friend’s background and experiences does not tell the entire story of an entire group of people. My mother is a very educated woman who went to an All-Black College in the south (her state paid for her to attend colleges outside of the state because of her race BTW) for her Undergrad degree and later went on to two of the best schools in the country for her graduate degrees. I know for a fact that her perspective is very different than someone that is in their 20s and 30s that did not live in Jim Crow days or did not have parents that lived in those circumstances. There might be some general things that bind a lot of Black people together, but there are a lot of differences, especially when you talk about what offends them. So when people say they have a friend that is of a different race or ethnicity does not mean that everything you say to me would be accepted or would be a justification that I would accept. I do not care that they are from the South or what music they listen to.

Peace