View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 17, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Blue316

High school ball. Bottom of the 8th, game tied, bases loaded, 1 out. Batter hit by pitch. Batter touches first, runner on 3rd crosses the plate, both the runner who started on first and the runner who started on second does not advance to there awarded base. Defense appeals the runner did not touch second, I call him out, then they appeal the runner not touching third (runner on who started at 3rd has already crossed the plate), I call him out. Does the run score? I scored the run and game over. Now say that they appealed 3rd first and then 2nd. Now there would be 2 force outs, and would the run still score? I can not find anything in the rule book or casebook to help me out on this. I have asked may differnt umpires this, and all have no clue. Thanks

Heres' the rule governing your situation

FED rule 9-1-1 NOTE 2

When the winning run is scored in the last half inning of a regulation game, or in the last half of an extra inning, as a result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases loaded which forces the runner on third base to advance, the umpire SHALL NOT declare the game over until all runeers have advanced to the next base.

If the defense appealed properly, and the third out was the result of a force out - No runs would score - FED rule 9-1-1 Exception b

NOTE: In OBR, the game would be over

OBR 4.09 HOW A TEAM SCORES.
(b) When the winning run is scored in the last half inning of a regulation game, or in the last half of an extra inning, as the result of a base on balls, hit batter or any other play with the bases full which forces the runner on third to advance, the umpire shall not declare the game ended until the runner forced to advance from third has touched home base and the batter runner has touched first base.

Pete Booth