View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by etbaseball
Bob

We're talking about the very same move that 'lefty's' make when being successful in p/o attempts at first base. The hanging foot element can also be present with righty's. The language of any movement normally associated to pitching to the batter does matter, but if lefty's can hang the foot and then go to first, I don't see how the righty can be penalized for doing precisely the same move. This is, off course, understanding that the 'hanging' foot does not move towards the plate/batter.

The reason I quoted what I did is that the language regarding 'movement normally associated' is at best vague and not well-enough defined.

I reiterate, this is the same movement that a lefty is allowed to make without a balk being called, therefore why not a righty?

And BTW would that interpertation along with umpire judgement have a different application from FED to pro rules?

[Edited by etbaseball on Apr 15th, 2002 at 03:56 PM]
RH Pitchers can make that move to third (assuming a runner is there, of course). LH pitchers can't make that move to third.

I'll state it the way I always do. View the pitcher from above. IF any part of the leg moves clockwise (that's toward third), the the RH pitcher can't throw to first.

This rule is the same in all codes. NCAA describes it best: "The pitcher is committed, upon raising the lead leg, to throw to the base being faced, second base or to the plate. When throwing ... to a base not beig faced, the pitcher must step immediately, directly and gain ground toward that base." (emphasis added)