View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 14, 2002, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by buckweat

Why are umps in general so reluctant to run a coach or player? As a fan, I'm sick and tired of the same coaches or players doing things that are clearly within the realm of being runable offenses, but umps, in general, just seem to continue to warn them.

I love it when an ump takes charge right up front and lets everyone know he won't take a lot of garbage. I like it even better when an ump will stop a coach before he even gets out of the dugout and avoids the situation altogether.

I go to a game to watch players play baseball not to see some insecure adult showing his ignorance and holding up the game. I also don't especially like to hear F-bombs" being dropped all over the place at a HS or below game.

The "F" Bomb is an automatic even in the PRO ranks.

It's the rest of the stuff that each umpire will differ on. Generally speaking if only myself and the player heard it - I will cut them some slack, but make certain that they know I heard it.

Also, a good official can do some preventative umpiring. When we see a player start to take his / her helmet off or look as if they might throw equipment we can hed it off at the pass It doesn't always work, but if a player is a good athlete and wants to stay in the game they will listen.

Just because you toss everyone doesn't mean you are taking charge Some umpires like the "power", so they will toss at the drop of a hat.

I'll agree associations should be more consistent in their approach to sportsmanship and some coaches and players should have been tossed so that the next umpiring crew doesn't run into the same problems or look like the bad guys.

Pete Booth