Thread: FLEX batting
View Single Post
Old Tue Aug 07, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Why not? See case plays 3.4.2 A & B.
Good. Thank you. I didn't research it, and simply read the ruling. Rule book Penalty clearly states proper batter loses time at bat in 2a (when still at bat or after making an out and no pitch has been thrown; but ignores (and therefore I incorrectly assumed that is not the case) in 2b and 2c. It makes much more sense that the proper batter must be skipped in all cases.

As to disagreeing, I misread your post; I think you might, in retrospect see how it might be misconstrued. When you said no other penalties other than as in post above, I simply referred to your statement in the same post, but above this statement. In there, you simply called the player out and play nullified.

Finally, to all:

The language that BOO is superceded appears in the 2005 NFHS rulebook Penalty to 3-4-2b. At some point, the argument that an illegal sub other than FLEX batting in the nonexistent 10th position can be considered BOO; again, I was rushed, threw out my first answer from an older reference without full research. It also seemed to try to explain my reading that BOO is superceded.

My apologies; I did make many of you think further!!

To the original, singular question in the OP; in all cases of an illegal sub, the original player has left the game, and must reenter, or else another legal sub must be used.