View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 12, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

It's judgement - was this the fielder who had a play on that ball - and should be called by either PU or BU. I don't think I can see "incidental" contact on the basepaths. If the fielder has a play on the ball, it's interference. But if the fielder has no chance at making a play on that ball, it's obstruction.

That being said, on to your questions. Were the proper mechanics used? By you, almost - it's either interference or obstruction, so make one of those calls. By your partner, no. Since he felt it was definitely interference, he should have made the call when it happened. That was the right decision on your part to get together with your partner when the coach asked since the coach did so properly. For your second question, I don't think you could or should have tried to sell the "incidental" contact. But, like I said above, it is judgement. A couple of the considerations to make - Was this the fielder who should have been making the play - you've got to protect the fielder who is doing what she should be doing. Was there a valid play on the ball, check your books to see what a "play" means since Fed & ASA differ on what that means.

Steve M