View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 31, 2007, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInBlue
Sure, plenty of them. First that comes to mind - R2, fly ball to F9, PU goes to 3B ("I've got 3rd if he tags") - BU rolls home in case there is an errant throw - needs to wait for R2 to commit to 3rd before leaving though.

edit to add - Rich posted before I got through typing - He's right - normally there is no need for PU to cover 3B and BU to go home. But if PU hustles and gets up the line to help or just because then ... there are plenty of times the PU can go up 3BL to help out - that's when BU needs to roll home, unless you have a trailing runner that you are responsible for.

Yep - unless BU is able to position himself to make that call (and let you know he's got it) AND still be able to be in position to get home for that play. Best bet...That's why your called the Field or Base umpire - you better get it.

Sounds like they better be kicking their horses. PU has got to see the ball - the ball is ALWAYS you first responsibility - so he needs to get into position to get home as the throw is coming and still see the ball clearly - or BU better let him know he's at home (and then PU has to wake up to possibly get to 3B or 2B)

I'm sure I'll take some heat for these answers - that's OK - I'm curious what others say anyway.
i don't think there is anything correct in this post. F.