View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Caliente
It was a good weekend, not only because it was the last weekend of Babe Ruth/travel team tournaments around here, but also I got to work with a guy who is regarded as a good umpire in our area and is well respected. During our pre-game discussion I asked him to critique me (I was the PU) and let me know what he think I need to work on.

Here is what he said:

1) My strike zone is slightly different for LH vs RH batters (I am more apt to call an outside strike on a LH than RH). Besides just having somebody pitch or go to a batting cage anybody have any ideas on how I can work on this? Drills or anything?
First off, a partner critiquing anything more than mechanics is very tough.
He's got more to concern himself with on the bases than tracking the differences in your strike zone to LH and RH batters. Besides depending on which position he was in pitches will have a different look. It's much easier for him to track hi and lo pithches than side to side.
Personally I'd ignore this comment for the time being. If your zone was great and consistent as he said it was then unless someone else coments independently on this inconsistency, leave it alone.

Quote:
2) He said I need to work a little more on my timing and suggested calling strikes in a mirror. He said its not bad, but it could be better (he said he would have given me a 7.5 on a scale 1-10)
I don't think calling strikes in the mirror helps anything but your mechanic, certainly not your timing.
As mentioned in another thread, timing is all about getting the call right. Don't prejudge a pitch 4' out from the plate. Watch it all the way to the mit then make your decision after that, not before, and your timing will be fine.

Quote:
3) He liked the way I moved around. Coming out and looking for a pulled foot at 1st, heading to the library on plays that could be coming to 3rd, etc (basically just not standing around the plate all the time) He was especially grateful when I busted my butt down to 1B when there was a rundown with a picked off runner yelling "I got 1st, I got 1st".
I also appreciate good hustle by my partner. Continue to study two man mechanics to make sure your hustle is channeled properly.

Quote:
4) He thought my zone was great and consistent (expect for the LH thing)
Excellent!
Again, forget the LH thing

Quote:
5) He thought my game management skills were excellent.
These are not easy to teach, if you have a knack for it you're way ahead of the game. But don't rest on your laurels, game management is a life long learning experience.

Quote:
All in all he said he wouldn't hesitate for a second to walk on a field with me. That statement meant a lot to me.
As it should.
Congrats

Last edited by Don Mueller; Mon Jul 30, 2007 at 11:16am.