View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 10:26am
Ch1town

So basically, when catching the ball (on the move) it's legal to take two steps w/out a dribble & then pass or shoot?

But catching the ball (while stationary) one needs to make a dribble before taking those two steps to be considered legal?

The travel is one tricky call because of the speed of the game. But the inconsisitency of partners contribute to the bad/good travel calls as well.

I've worked with highly respected HS playoff/championship vets who never make the "replant or step back" travel call, but will use the travel signal for a designated spot violation.... go figure.

I think I'm starting to figure this officiating game out as the off-season progresses though. Basically, the more "trusted & respected" an official is the less his/her calls are scutinized. It seems as though once a certain level is atained, an official can be wrong as two left shoes & get by better than a not so respected official who is completely right.

Example:
I gotta double personal foul in the post, reported it & tried to go POI, w/no shots. The R who I was working with (highly respected by coaches/players/fans/assignors) says no POI & went with a jump ball (ummm yes there was indeed team possession when I blew the whistle).

Later in the SAME game A1 laying on the ground tries to pass to A2 (standing near the Team B bench) the ball goes over A2s head, out of bounds & is caught by a B team member sitting on the bench. I hit the 40, give a verbal & directional signal favoring Team B.
Mr. Championship tells me at halftime that I should've given the ball back to Team A because Team B bench caught the ball. HUH?????