View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 30, 2007, 05:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
1) Whether we like it or not, officiating is a very subjective thing. All we have here are two officials that disagree on what needs to be called or how to navigate the game. Welcome to the real world because that happens on a daily basis at every camp I have ever attended. You can show a single play only to have different opinions as to what a call should have been or how the rule should be applied. This is just another example of how officials see different things. I do not think their comments are representative of anything other than their opinions.

2) BTW JR, I see a lot of travel calls made at the NBA level. I have watched five minutes of some games and seen 3 straight trips with a travel call. It is just a call that is not called very consistently at all levels.
1) A good example supporting what you're saying might be Tim Donaghy. From what I've read, the great majority of his calls were subjectively judged by NBA observers as being correct and proper. He was rated above average in calling accuracy. Now, they're re-reviewing all of his calls--again supposedly subjectively.

2) True dat, but what's sad is that the supposedly top level, the NBA, probably is leading in inconsistency on travel calls imo.