View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Traveling philosophies....

So I'm working a men's college summer league. Mostly D-2 and D-3 teams. Some D-1 refs observe the games and give some input to the officials after the game (the games are being reffed by men's CC and D-3 officials).

I'm watching the game before mine. A player does the "replant" move before shooting a 3-pointer in transition (the replant was supposed to be a big point of emphasis around here in college games last season - meaning the player catches the ball with both feet on the ground and then does the little hop and lands on both feet again before shooting). Of course, the 3-pointer goes in and the official has to wave off the basket because of the travel violation. At halftime, I listen in to the D-1 ref/observer as he tells the official that he is "ruining the game" and to only call travels that are obvious to everyone in the gym. OK, point taken. I don't guess on travels anyway, but I will adjust and not call one unless it's obvious to even a novice fan. The D-1 ref/observer who made the comment is an absolute stud with more than one men's final four game on his resume.

In my game, I am at the C position right before the end of the half. A drive comes out of the T's area and goes at the hoop right down the middle of the key. A1 loses control of the ball and bobbles it as he takes about 3 steps before throwing up an off-balance shot. The T has no call. I don't have a call either and the horn sounds to end the half. Of course, there were about 10 fans who were whining because no travel was called but what do they know? So our D-1 ref/observer comes out (another guy that I have huge respect for) and looks at the T and says, "why didn't you call a travel?" He says, "the player was bobbling the ball and did not have control." The observer says, "call the travel." "Just make it easy on yourself and call the travel in that case. Nobody will say a word if you do."

Now I totally understand where those philosophies come from. They come from the assignors that those two refs work for. If you are going to stick around, you darn well better call what your assignor wants. No problem, I can do that. Those two D-1 refs are at the highest levels and can adjust to call the game anyway they are asked.

However, when I look at the "big picture" of basketball, I really think these kinds of philosophies hurt the game overall. Just my two cents. Interested in hearing other thoughts.