View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 21, 2007, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Voluntary Release Play...

I'm in B, runners on 1st and 3rd. Double steal. F6 makes a good tag on R1 and then turns to face towards 3rd base so he can quickly throw home if neccessary.

I see a good tag, a bit of possession, and start to come up from my set with an OUT call. However, the next thing I see is the ball in the legs of the runner who is lying on the ground. I call SAFE emphatically and point at the ground. Here comes manager and assisstant to the foul line to yell (thats a whole different story but I'm convinced that no umpire in my association puts assistants in their place).

They want me to go to PU for help (yelling at me from the foul line), saying the drop was on the transfer (I don't care about the assisstant but the manager wanted it). I simply shake my head, that I'm not going for help. My partner talks them off the field, while I'm simply staring at the manager from my position.

I was looking at F6's back when his hands started to come together. I never saw the ball come out of his glove at any point, I just saw it rolling on the ground. My other piece of evidence was that the ball didn't come "flying out", as it typically does when a ball is dropped on a transfer.

So, given this information (or lack of information), would you call out or safe? Also, would you go to your partner for help on a play that is right in front of you when asked?

I think I may have missed it, but I had no view of it, either way.

Thanks.