Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 19, 2007, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump

However, it will not change this FACT: this method of umpiring was taught at both umpire school and PBUC camp. These groups are, arguably, the top in top in the world of umpire training.
Does anyone know what they teach today?

Quote:
What it is, is a small part of "letting the players take care of things themselves," OR "calling the game the way BOTH teams expect the game to be called."
Take care of what themselves?
We're not talking about knockdown pitches, we're talking tag/no tag. I think they expect the ump to make the call.

Quote:
When ball beats runner to the bag, fielder puts the glove with the ball down and the runner does nothing but slide directly into the bag...then the runner is going to be called out.

Example:

R1, steal. Throw from F2 beats R1 by a mile. F4 or F6 gloves the throw and puts the glove with ball down in front of second base well ahead of R1. F4 or F6 then pulls the tag up a little early (probably he doesn't wan't to get spiked). Nothing blatant...just enough for you the umpire to know there was no "actual" tag. R1 did nothing but slide directly into second base (basically giving himself up.) He did nothing (no fancy slide, etc.) to try to avoid the tag.

What do you call?
Safe
It's our job to call the game according to the rules. Coaches job to teach the player good tagging techniques and the players job to execute.
If you call an out in the above sitch then at least 2 people have failed to do their job.

Quote:

I've never had a manager/head coach (on the pro, college or varsity level) argue that a runner was "safe" on such a play.
maybe his angle and distance from the dugout prevented him from seeing the missed tag.

Quote:
However, when I have taken the short end of the stick (once or twice) I have had a manager come screaming out of the dugout, "how can you make that %^&$ call the throw beat the runner and the tag was down!"
maybe his angle and distance from the dugout prevented him from seeing the missed tag or maybe he just wanted you to bail out his team for their miscue.