Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 09:53pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
Yes, I really did read every post on this thread. Seriously!

Did you seriously not see the little blue smiley that, according to the tags, equates to "sarcasm"?

I don't post here often, but have read just about every thread on this board since I joined three years ago. If that makes me a "newbie"...then I guess I'm a newbie!

This isn't my first exposure to the whole "expected call" debate. Responses here ranged from "that's an out" to "that's not an out". Some say that there has been a big change in how MLB umpires make the "expected call", others claim it's business as usual. Both sides of the fence were pretty well covered.

And one post most certainly did imply that a professional umpire was dismissed for making a call other than the "expected" one.

Along the way, there was a dose of chest thumping and a dash of name calling. Which, of course, doesn't really prove that I read anything. That applies to most every other thread on the board.
I saw a similar situation last night in the Texas/Oakland game. Kenny Lofton hits the first pitch of the game over the head of Shannon Stewart in left field. Lofton wants to stretch it into a triple. Throw comes in to Bobby Crosby and he turns and throws to Marco Scutaro, which beats the runner. Lofton goes in head first and avoids tag. Ed Montague (PU) makes the safe call. From the overhead shot behind home plate, Lofton looked out. Replays show the tag was missed. A's manager comes out for brief argument. No reaction from Scutaro. He must have felt it was good call.

I did see a weird mechanic from Montague later in the game. Ball goes down into right field corner. Gerald Laird is going all the way from first. Throw comes in to cutoff man in foul territory. It is a good relay to Matt Suzuki at home. Close play, but Laird slides in safe. I see Montague and he is about eight feet up the third base line making the call from right inside fair territory. That's a new one on me.