Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
Quiz:

R2 stealing third, F2 fires down. F5 receives ball before R2 begins head first slide. F5 lays glove down six inches on 2nd base side of the bag. Everyone, including his coach see R2 slides into the tag clearly before the bag, but you, and only you, think that you saw his right hand touch the bag a micro-second before his left hand touched the glove.

Your call?
It depends on the slide.

Here's two consecutive plays from a game a couple of years ago; I was BU.

R1 stealing. Throw in plenty of time, tag in front of the base (toward first). R1 head first slide. Shows the left hand, then takes it away at the same time as he reaches for the outside of the base with the right hand. Call: Safe. Some defenders saw the move; some didn't. I don't recall what the spectators saw.

A couple of pitches later, now R2 steals third. Same throw, same tag, different slide. R2 goes straight into the base. Call: Out. R2 gets up and trots to his position, but says to me: "He never tagged me. My hads went on either side of the glove. Still, I went straight in, so that was a good call."

One of the posters on the basketball side says, "Don't be a plumber." That is, don't go looking for ****.

I interpret that as look at what you need to look at. If the throw is there, the tag is there and the slide is "normal", I've seen all I need to see (that's the second play above). If something is different, I look harder (that's the first play above).

Same thing on the "neighborhood play" -- if everyone does what they're supposed to be doing, I've seen enough -- I don't look for the miss. If something is amiss, then I look to see what really happened.

shrug. works for me (for now).