Thread: Smittyisms
View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 18, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
lawump]Jim,

With the proliferation of TV cameras (EVERY game (especially now that Montreal is out of the league) has multiple cameras AND the stadiums have tv monitors located throughout the stadium), MLB umpires today ONLY care about getting the play right. And "right" now means: what everyone will see WHEN THEY LOOK AT THE REPLAY on tv.
Even IR isn't conclusive some-times. For the most part the initial IR tells us nothing. It's not until the networks use the SUPER-SLO MO camera angles and even then it's hard to tell some-times.

Personally I think the game has changed for the worse. This getting the call right business is way over-hyped and IMO is ruining the game.

Umpires are going to make mistakes. In addtion, subscribing to Jim's theory adds more consistency to the game meaning it's called the EXACT same way for both teams.

I am not in the major leagues but I have a math theory that works for me.

Good Quality throw beats the runner by several steps + Tag where it is supposed to be = OUT whether its yesterday, today or tomorrow. It's the same for both teams so no-one is gaining an advantage.

NOTE: We are not talking about Bang bang or coin flip type plays.

As with most of these type discussions to each his own.

Pete Booth