View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 17, 2007, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

I am not saying they know everything. They do expect us to behave in a professional manner and there are things that tell on our experience or our competence level. Umpiring/Officiating is about survival.
I've never considered umpiring or officiating a game of survival. Proper game management skills allow the vast majority of games to go smooth.
In the rare case a storm hits then I take it as a challenge to get through it professionally, making proper rulings and keeping my integrity. If the adrenaline spikes a bit it's invigorating.
Never do I take the field with the thought of hoping to survive.
Talk about coaches smelling blood.

Quote:
When you do things that make you look new or inexperienced, a coach will take advantage of it. It is not always fair or right. It just is that way.
Here's the thing, I'm not new and I'm not inexperienced, there is nothing to take advantage of.
Good game management skills trump bag brushing.

Quote:
Even if you are right, the reality is that someone that you might have to deal with will think you are not as well trained.
Aren't you the one that says you could care less what others think when you're on the field?

Quote:
Then when you do not do the other things perfect, they will draw their own conclusions.
And I care why?

Quote:
I think you are putting way too much on whether someone brushes off a bag or not.
No I think everyone else is including yourself.
I have simply said that in order to see the bag at 120' I have no problem brushing it. That was in response to many people on this thread calling anyone who brushes a bag a smitty.
It's ok to kick the bag, but heaven forbid you actually lean down and accomplish something.

Would you prefer umping a game on a lined field or unlined?
On a fly down the line, it's much more accurate if you have a foul line. Of course if you don't you make your best guess. If there is a line it takes the guess work out.

To those who have occasion to work a game solo and 2b happens to be dirty beyond kicking and you choose to call blind because you ego or energy level doesn't allow you to clean it then IMO it shows your commitment level, or lack thereof. Maybe it gives an insight to who is really there for just a paycheck.

Quote:
I did not make any assumptions. You said you did this at a 15 year old travel league. I think you might agree that working a travel league does not have the same expectations or requirements as a HS or college level game.
Apparently you don't work any high profile travel tournaments. The expectations are as high as any varsity contest.

Quote:
Even a freshman game requires an umpire to have a license and to follow certain protocols or they will not work that level or they will stay at the freshman level the rest of their career. I can work a travel league game and the only requirement is for me to have a uniform and maybe some protection. I really do not understand why you are so sensitive about this. You are the one that brought up the level you did this at.

Peace
You called it LL, I was just correcting you.

Does your association take any one with a mask and a shirt to do games?
If that's the case I can see it being pretty easy to get to varsity and college in your area.